Saturday, February 20, 2021

Clvr Vuz: New Beginnings from Old Wood


Sometimes I am just not satisfied to read books and listen to therapists. For me, they are not universal quick fixes. My fix seems to be coming in a different form, one in which the future is dimly foretold in words that are hard to understand. The best healing for me has been studying the stars
- art stars. To me, they are better than any book you could possibly give me, and they provide far better therapy than any shrink ever could.

It all began when I finally burned out from a policing career that I truly loved but was clearly killing me at a slow pace. I was convinced that even though there were diagnoses of alcoholism and PTSD, I was convinced that any prescribed medication would only contribute to more damage. So, I continued to slip, falling into more and more unhealthy patterns (more relationships, more of the standard, futile attempts to cope with PTSD) with each step I attempted to take. And heck no, this blog is not going to highlight that small piece of my life! If I start talking about the past I’ll only find myself, once again, buried in it!

You see, at my lowest point, when all around me was haunting remnants of a chaotic emotional past and crippling beliefs of an unhappy future, a new sense of freedom suddenly emerged. I had just moved to a beautiful new area - a dream area, really, for any true nature-lover. Just observing this new area I was now in, awakened my senses to the potential around me and began steering my spirit to thinking of the potential within me. Creative fulfilment became my overnight focus, and I have not looked back. Nature, gardens, growing food, recycling and restoration ... anything that I could be inspired by I allowed myself to become fully so. 

I can’t wait to get into the real goods now. (Patience is not my finest attribute, I’ll admit.).  REAL, handmade, high-quality goods make my heart sing! To be able to showcase merchandise made in Western Canada, right here in my neck of the woods, brings me satisfaction and makes me feel like a strong contributor. What you will see on this page are unique heartfelt visions brought to life. No two pieces will ever be alike, and the variety will keep you coming back for more. I promise. This blog will feature local artists, real manufacturers with giant hearts, passion and creativity. Looking for flimsy, cheaply-made, IKEA-style home decor? You won’t find that here. And our artists don’t look like Lindt chocolatiers. They’re plaid-wearing, axe-totting real deals, likely to be found deep in the forests of British Columbia looking for the right piece of wood to make your next favourite piece of furniture. These artists have no time clocks and no egos, and when you see them you will see them at work in their raw state. If you want the mass-produced, cookie-cutter stuff, you are on the wrong blog!  

I promise you that this creative blog will speak to your senses and bring you great delight. Are you interested in supporting local? This is the place for you. Are you interested in one-of-a-kind art? This is definitely the place for you. Here, you will read about every piece up for sale. Here, I will draw you in with the real stories behind each and every product you can purchase for your very own. Most of these will be featured in our Etsy shop, Clvr Vuz (Clever Views).

Before opening the Etsy shop I was recycling like crazy. I was using an old sewing machine as a bed for my succulent plants, rusted wheels to support creeping plants, old fence boards for wainscoting in my home - the list goes on. I found that the less time I spent focusing on addictions and PTSD, the more time I had to focus on these wonderfully productive activities that were actually doing far more to heal me than prescription medication ever could. I also discovered that my little pastime was proving to be far more productive than I could ever imagine. Yes, I was feeling much better inside than I had felt in decades, but I was actually creating beautiful, useful commodities in the process.  Like my container gardens - can you see the boats in my garden? They are made from local cedar wood and yes, they are my container gardens – a taste of home perhaps (Newfoundland Dories)? 

All creations that will be presented weekly are all for sale. And we will do our very best to have brand-new products for you every week. I won’t always be able to give you a hint as to what is upcoming because I do not always know what is being created. Like myself, you will have to wait and see what the artists have up their sleeves. But I do promise to bring you everything they bring forth and to tell you the story behind it.

The next post in a day or two will introduce one of the main artists, Joe Young. Joe is an extremely talented woodworking artist living on Vancouver Island and in 2015 found a new fan in legendary Canadian painter Robert Bateman. Joe created this fine specimen from a Big Leaf Maple Burl. Stay tuned for the story behind this one.  Imagine this piece of art on your wall!


If you’re curious, I will be featured on this blog as well, but as a quilter. My first contribution is a queen-size quilt. This Betsy Bitch has over six hundred triangles stitched within. She’s heavily weighted too!


I would also like to introduce the brilliant photographer, Iris Schurtz who has joined Clvr Vuz for this amazing adventure into Canadian art. Without Iris, you’d be left with my iPhone images. This makes Iris as an important to this blog as the artists themselves!

New friends, keep coming back. Our wheels have only begun to turn.


No comments:

Post a Comment